Shade Point is an imaginary peninsula of North Devon, England. Its most famous feature is the lighthouse on the furthest reef, frequently cut off from the rest of the promontory by high seas. The lighthouse itself is now colloquially known as Shade Point. At most times of the day it is only accessible by boat.
The lighthouse was built by Cuthbertson in 1850, and was fully operational until 1890, when a storm and as yet unexplained fire destroyed substantial parts of the building and took the lives of all inside. The light was later restored but successive lighthouse keepers were unable to stay there, and eventually, it was closed as a working light in 1914. This was made possible by the building of the larger County Lighthouse 20 miles to the east in 1907, inspectors who had visited Shade Point having inexplicably recommended the construction of a new light after only one night in the old structure.
The name Shade Point is thought to have its origins in the Swedish skadda for fog, or the Old English sceadu for darkness or shadow. Events in the lighthouse towards the end of its use gave rise to the use of the word shade to describe darkness, and certainly as a name for a ghost. Locals in the nearest village to this day tell stories of ghostly lighthouse keepers and drowned sailors who follow the light.
In 2008, the lighthouse was bought privately, and has been partially refurbished.